Building Writersoffers extra practice for writing skills development and can be easily incorporated into a writing block as independent writing or as whole group practice to meet your students' varying needs. Students become better, more fluent writers as they write about cross-curricular topics and practice three writing styles: narrative, information, and opinion.
- Structured practice to build core writing skills
- Developmental approach to writing
- Offers customizable writing templates to fit with any topic
- Builds confident communicators and improves overall communication skills
- Practical application of handwriting skills
- Eliminates the need for worksheets
Building Writers (F)
Fifth grade students practice three writing styles:
- Narrative: Students write a story with a clear sequence of events; introduce a narrator and characters; include dialogue and description; use details to effectively communicate the experiences of characters and events; use words and phrases to show the order of events; and write a conclusion
- Information: Students clearly introduce the topic; organize related information into logical paragraphs or sections; write facts, definitions, and details about the topic; use quotations and concrete details to develop the topic; include topic-specific vocabulary; connect ideas with linking words and phrases; and write a conclusion
- Opinion: Students write an introduction that clearly states an opinion; write ideas and supporting reasons in an organized structure; write supporting reasons with facts and details, connect an opinion and supporting reason with linking words; and write a conclusion.