The term dysgraphia is often used to describe a child with poor handwriting. It is more complex than bad handwriting, but bad handwriting can be the first indicator of a possible problem. This informative training will explore what dysgraphia is and how it differs from other fine motor difficulties. Participants will be able to differentiate dysgraphia from other handwriting challenges. You will leave with knowledge of how it is diagnosed and who should be involved in the diagnosis process. Participants will learn practical strategies to intervene and provide support to struggling students. We will address some of the unknowns behind the diagnosis of dysgraphia and give you practical take-a-ways to discuss and address dysgraphia with other professionals and parents. This workshop is intended for occupational therapists and special educators working with children in grades K-5th.
This is a virtual, instructor-led workshop. Use your own laptop or desktop to participate in this online workshop through the internet.
Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc.
WORKSHOP SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
(It is HIGHLY recommended that you test your device prior to joining the workshop.)
- Test ON24.
Conduct an ON24 system test.
- If you have issues joining the webinar, review the Webinar Help Guide.
- The login link will be sent via email, the day prior to the workshop. Log in to the ON24 link at least 15 minutes prior to start time to test the workshop link and your audio connection.
Length of session: 1 hour
- Define 5 common characteristics of dysgraphia observed in classroom setting impacting student performance
- Identify at least 2 challenges related to a decrease in students' written production within the classroom.
- Explain the role of the OT in the diagnostic process and possible tools used for diagnosis.
- Implement 3 intervention strategies to help students diagnosed with dysgraphia to improve written production in the classroom
1 Contact Hour
There are currently no materials included with this training.