This learning experience is relevant for Pre-K and K educators who are new or current users of the HWT curriculum. Participants will learn best practices for helping children progress from emergent writers to early writers using the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum. Participants will discover how to incorporate hands-on letter play activities, that deliberately teach correct habits for letter and number formation. We will use Wood Pieces for Capital letters, the Mat for capital Letters, the Slate, and the Magnetic Lowercase & Blackboard Set. These materials are not are not required for participants to engage in the learning experience. There will be guidance for whole-class and center-based teaching, storing, and organizing materials, and best practices for how to incorporate into the busy classroom day. We will share the developmental progression of how children develop writing skills, and how to incorporate this approach to help emergent writers transition from capitals to lowercase letters. At the conclusion of this learning experience, you will receive a 15% discount to use in the LWT store
This learning experience is focused on a specific area of the HWT curriculum that is highly relevant for Pre-K and K educators. For a broader experience of a complete curriculum our emergent writing implementation workshop and print implementation workshops are available for new and current users of the HWT curriculum.
This is a virtual, instructor-led workshop. Use your own laptop or desktop to participate in this online workshop through the internet.
WORKSHOP SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
(It is HIGHLY recommended that you test your device prior to joining the workshop.)
- Test ON24.
Conduct an ON24 system test.
- If you have issues joining the webinar, review the Webinar Help Guide.
- The login link will be sent via email, the day prior to the workshop. Log in to the ON24 link at least 15 minutes prior to start time to test the workshop link and your audio connection.
Length of session: 1 hour
- Use Hands-On Letter Play activities to teach good habits for letter formation prior to writing on paper.
- Identify the developmental progression of how children develop writing skills.
- Apply best practices for transitioning emergent writers from capitals to lowercase letters
1 Contact Hour
There are currently no materials included with this training.